Monday, April 15, 2013

CherryReview: Pinkie Red Lips

Hello hello!
Yes it's been a little while since my last review - to make it short and sweet, a lot has been going on and it hasn't put me in the mood to really write anything, and at the same time there's just a lot of running around going on too.

But I've finally decided to get this review written (yay) since the photos date back a while ago...excuse the lighting though, I still haven't figured out the best way to take a photo in my room.  Maybe when I move out to the condo it will be better?  Ah...

Anyways down to the review:

Left to right: Tarte LipSurgence in Enchanted, Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Candy Apple and Maybelline ColorWhisper in Pin Up Coral

So for a little while I've been trying to find a good red lip, as well as a nice pink lipstick that didn't scream "nude".  The Tarte one I had for a while but I needed something new because I wasn't 100% sure if it had any germs from my short lip episode (refer to the lip balm review for a little bit more insight on what happened).  Anyways, it turned out it was still okay so yay!  

Obviously everyone is interested in the swatches:


Don't ask me why this won't upload the right way around...I swear blogger is acting like an idiot.  I rotated it already on my computer!!

That aside...let's get to the nitty gritty:

Tarte Lip Surgence in Enchanted




I got this one as part of Tarte Shining Stars Limited-Edition Best Sellers Collection, which is no longer sold (bought it in 2011?).  The main reason I bought it was because I wanted to get the mini gel blush for my mom, who liked the one I had, but didn't want a full size.  I love minis for travelling, so it all worked out.

Anyways back to the lip stick.  Per Sephora, this lip tint is "A natural lip stain that is clinically proven to increase lips' moisture content by 6000%."  I personally love Tarte products because there are no parabens and they are pretty natural.

Colour: Sheer red lip tint - I guess the description on the site as "rose" would be applicable, although don't think pinky-rose.  It's more of a reddy-rose.

Feel: Definitely very moisturizing, do not need to have any lip balm underneath.  It has a nice minty smell and a little tingle (very very mild).  I like my lip products to have a slight scent to it, don't ask me why.  It glides on very smoothly.

As for the claim of increasing my lips' moisture content by 6000%...uh I wouldn't say that.  It's definitely very moisturizing but saying 6000% is just a little, or rather a ginormous stretch.

Lasting power: on my it lasted pretty much all day, perhaps fading just slightly but it leaves a pretty decent red tint/stain on your lips that you don't need to constantly reapply

Mine is a mini version - you can only buy Tarte products at Sephora (or maybe directly from the Tarte website?   Have not tried that), and this full size would set you back $29 CAD.  Would I repurchase?  I'll admit I'm a bit on the cheap side and may not unless I go to the US (where it's at least $5 cheaper and less taxes to pay if I go to Boston like I usually do).  However, I like the formula and I think it's a great red tint without making me look like a clown.

Maybelline ColorWhisper in Pin Up Coral



I'll be honest, it took me forever to figure out which colour I wanted to get at WalMart when I saw these...I was intrigued by the fact that it was supposed to be super lightweight and long lasting.  The problem was that many of the colours were completely sealed and there were no demos, so I was only able to make a decision on a select few colours (boo).

Colour: I ended up picking Pin Up Coral and hoping for the best, and it turned out to be a nice glossy pinky-peachy colour on my lips.  I suppose it's a slight amped up version of my own lips, as you can only kind of tell that I have lipstick on (mainly because it's glossier).  There is a little bit of shimmer, which I'm okay with since it doesn't feel gritty after long amounts of wear.

Feel: Very smooth and moisturizing.  Didn't feel the need to have to put on lip balm when I tried it on although now I've been doing it since it's a bad habit.  Not necessarily bad I suppose, but just one that I am used to.

Lasting power: Hard to say because it's so light, but I don't find myself reapplying too often.  It leaves a slight peachy tint on my lips after a while (ie: after eating, wiping a bit etc...)  I do find I have to swipe at least 3 times to get the desired shade (as in, looking more like what it looks like in the tube).  I suppose that is also due to the fact that it is a gel and as such not as pigmented?  Dunno.

This one I bought at WalMart but I generally see them ranging between $5.99-$7.99 CAD depending if they are on sale or not and which drugstore/supermarket you go to.  Would I buy it again?  I like the packaging because it's sleek (and I like thin lipsticks, they just look nicer), and I guess the colour is nice, since I don't wear gloss (I have yet to find one that isn't so sticky after a few minutes...Nars and MAC have both failed me miserably), and this gives a close glossy finish.

Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Candy Apple



I got this one because I thought it could replace my Tarte LipSurgence when it was finished...and it was on sale at Maxi (though I forgot how much).  It's a little pricier than the Maybelline one that's for sure.  The packaging is cute but one thing - this has absolutely no scent at all (the Maybelline one has a slight vanilla scent).

Colour: Very similar to the Tarte on, however this is much more pigmented and closer to that name - Candy Apple.  It looks pretty daunting in the tube but is much more sheer on your lips.  There is no shimmer - it's only glossy because it's a lip butter (so it lends itself to having a slight sheen).

Feel: On the fence about it.  Without lip balm underneath, it feels SUPER STICKY.  I guess it's because it's a lip butter.  But putting lip balm under it makes it glide better - but that seems to be super counter intuitive, doesn't it?  I don't usually swipe this one on - I dab it first to get a little colour, then swipe it the second round to get a more intense pay off.

This one definitely stains your lips and has a longer colour payoff.  My only qualm is that if you lips are not well moisturized before hand, it could show when you swipe it on.  Although it is super moisturizing, I am really not the biggest fan of the sticky buttery feeling.  But the colour is pretty good.  I love the shade of red and my mom thought it was pretty cute on me (with my nerdy David Cardigan black glasses haha).

Readers: What is your favourite red lip?  Which of the three colours do you think suits me best?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012-2015 Cherry B Sweet All photos are my own unless otherwise stated.
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.