Sunday, April 21, 2013

CherryTalk: My skin care routine

There are a lot of people out there who are always curious about...skin care routines.  There are a few things I think people have to keep in mind when they watch videos about other people's skin routine (or read about it for that matter):

1) Not everyone's skin is the same.  Even if someone appears to have the same skin type as you, there is probably more likely than not to be something different.  People with oily skin can't always tolerate the same product as the other person with oily skin

2) People discussing their skincare routine are in no way endorsing that this is the way to do it, nor are they saying that these are the only alternatives.  For me personally, I switch up things quite often, depending on what I've got on hand and purchased.  Price point is a pretty important factor for me, but recently I've been sticking to one brand...more on that later.

3) A lot of it is based on trial and error.  As mentioned in point 1, you can try out the products that I use, and if it doesn't work, then try something else.  I've done it before and used products that I've seen to work on other people, heck, even my own mom.  But sometimes it just doesn't work for me.



A little background: pre my UK-Paris trip recently, I had a bad run-in with a sample mask from Sephora.  It just...to put it crudely, screwed up my face.  I had huge red splotches on my face, it felt rough and to my horror I started PEELING and my face was drying up like crazy.  I thought going to get a facial would help (well it did a bit...it helped clear out my forehead and nose a bit haha, but that's what usually happens) but the red flare ups stayed and I was stuck for majority of my trip shoving BB cream on in thicker layers than I normally do (I was too lazy to bring foundation and plus when you are on a trip, you really don't want to be caked with foundation.  At least I don't).

While this was all going on, I actually managed to clear the redness a bit using Lush's "Cosmetic Catastrophe" fresh face mask.  I swear by this whenever my face decides to flare up...which it did once but that was my fault for not changing the pillow cases.  To all girls reading this: change your pillow cases frequently!  Especially if you don't wash your hair very often (I wash my hair every other day).  The oils and dirt from your hair transfer to your pillow case which subsequently get rolled all over your face.  Kind of gross, no?

Anyways, the mask did help but it was still crazy red.  The only thing that actually did heal the redness was La Roche-Posay's Toleriane Ultra

(Image courtesy of http://www.ariva.com/)

Normally I would have purchased the Toleriane Fluid but in Paris (which is where La Roche Posay is from...well France to be correct), the Pharmacie only had the Ultra.  The Fluid is generally, well, as the name implies, thinner.  Anyways, to make a long story short, this is what I'm using now over my Vichy Aqualia Thermal Care Daily Care Mattifying Moisturizer (that is currently at my boyfriend's place - I need face cream at his place for after I shower whenever I'm over).  The best thing about it is it's for "Intolerant and sensitive skin".  I've been using La Roche-Posay for a while (in conjunction with Vichy) just because it's unscented and it works for my skin.  Vichy is from the same manufacturer, but most of their products are scented.

(Side note: if you ever go to Paris/France - do stock up on La Roche Posay.  It is EXTREMELY cheap at the pharmacies there.  Also note that not all pharmacies have the same price.  I purchased mine at a Pharmacy on Rue Bonaparte near the St-Sulpice church.  It was almost 5 Euros cheaper than the one near the hotel I stayed at!)

La Roche-Posay at the drugstores are generally much pricier alternatives compared to L'Oreal, Nivea, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena (which is a brand I do think is excellent since it is dermatologist backed), Cetaphil (another one I used to use when I was in high school), Clearasil (my brother used it - he had severe acne), Garnier and whatnot other drugstore brands that I haven't mentioned.  The reason why I have La Roche Posay, and a huge stock pile of it too, is because there is a L'Oreal Sale bi-yearly where I live, and I buy my La Roche Posay and Vichy there, usually at a large discount, in the form of value sets.  The only thing I always have to be wary of are the expiry dates, which I always try and check on the bottles if possible.  Most of them are pretty late (ie: at least 2 years) so it's not so bad.

I think I rambled on a lot about what happened to my face to the point that this is not really systematic anymore haha...so I'll try and go back from the start.

First of all, my face is combination and has grown sensitive over the years.  Combination in the sense that my T-Zone is oilier than everywhere else (the rest is just normal).  My skin turns pretty red if I rub it too much, as my esthetician noted during my latest facial.  I must've inherited that from my mom!

Washing my face
The last time I went to the L'Oreal sale, I managed to score the La Roche-Posay Toleriane Dermo Cleanser for a fraction of the original price at the store.  This probably lasted me a good half year also because it was a large bottle with a pump.  It's a milk cleanser so sometimes if I have makeup on, I would put this on my face first and then wipe it off before washing with the actual cleanser.  But after getting the La Roche-Posay Physiologicaly Micellar solution (at another bargain price - Vichy has one too in a smaller bottle), I've been using that before cleansing.

So basically if I've been wearing makeup, I use my Clinique makeup remover (the purple one) to get rid of my eye makeup (it works wonders on everything, and even waterproof mascara), and then use the Micellar solution to get rid of foundation and blush. Even on days where I don't have makeup on I use it to remove dirt from my face (you'll be surprised as to how much dirt gets stuck on your face in a day).  With makeup it could take three pads to make sure I have 90-100% of my makeup off.

After washing my face I use a toner - right now I have Vichy toner, but prior to my huge L'Oreal sale haul (and I'll probably be doing another one soon since the Spring sale is in and I have the tickets), I was using a Neutrogena one from the drugstore (it was in a light blue bottle).  The L'Oreal ones are not so bad either but my mom told me not to use them because they have parabens and those are no good for you (they are cancerous to a certain degree).

Immediately after toning my face I will put on my moisturizer of choice - during the Fall/Winter I used Vichy Aqualia Thermal Light, and when I ran out of that I started with the Mineral Balm since it was Winter and super dry...but then it warmed up around March which is when I started with the other Vichy one I mentioned, and at around that time I had the huge "breakout". 

In the mornings I wash my face with a face towel, that's it (so a face towel in warm water, wrung and just wipe my face).  At night I do the whole sha-bang.

Face masks and the works
I exfoliate my face once a week (down from twice) with the St Ives Green Tea Scrub.
Image courtesy of http://www.stives.ca

Technically speaking, this scrub is more geared to people with some blemishes and acne since there is salicylic acid, which everyone knows is to help fight pimples.  Which is also why I don't exfoliate my face as much as I used to (I used the Vichy scrub before as recommended by a cousin, but I wasn't a 100% fan even though my mom bought a few more tubes for me when it was on sale).  I mainly use this on my forehead and T-Zone, concentrating on my nose since that's where I used to have a huge blackhead problem.  I use only a little bit on my cheeks.  What I love about this is that it was pretty inexpensive (I also had a coupon at the time), a little goes a long way and the scrubbing particles are very fine so it's not irritating at all to the skin.  It also smells good :)

Twice a week I will apply a face mask.  Currently, the ones I am using are:

Left to Right: Combos skin Aloe Very Hydrating Mask (sold at Sasa for $11.10 USD, however currently out of stock) and the Kylrie Nano Technology Hyauronate Sheet Mask (purchased at Sasa in HK but not on the website)

I love using sheet masks - they are convenient and really easy to use, no mess either.  Per the SaSa sales lady in HK, she advised my mom and I to only put sheet masks on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off.  Here's why:

1) Your skin will only absorb so much of the essence.  Go back to your biology class about the concept of osmosis.  To refresh your memory, osmosis is the movement of particles from a highly concentrated area to a lower concentrated area via a permeable membrane in other to create an equilibrium of concentration in both areas.  As such, the particles from your mask will permeate through the actual sheet mask through to your skin.  Once your skin as absorbed more than its fair share, well, anymore and it will force the particles back out!  

2) Rinsing is essential because you don't want all that extra essence on your face, as it may just block your pores.

I've purchased in the past the My Beauty Diary sheet masks by the box from T&T (usually at around $20), however the SaSa sales lady had told my mom and I that these masks generally have less essence than the other masks available.  Since the Kylrie ones are no longer available for purchase, I've been using the Combos Skin one.  I also used Skin Lite masks, which are also great (these are from Korea).  Aloe Vera is usually the one I use since it is a hydrating mask - I've used cucumber, green tea as well as lavender in the past.  

I also like to use Skin Food's Rice Wash Off Mask

Photo courtesy of YesStyle - CA$12.00 (I bought mine at the store in Hong Kong)

I used this at times in lieu of an exfoliator - just as an FYI, I use this type of wash of masks whenever I am not washing my hair, so I pop it on before I shower, brush my teeth, shower, and then by the time I'm done it's usually time to wash it off.  This one was mentioned in one of Bubzbeauty's videos way back when so when I was in Hong Kong I picked it up and used up the container in about 3 months (doing this mask around once a week).  It leaves your skin baby soft and smells great :)  

Other face masks I use as wash off are the ones from Lush - these are $6.95 CAD for 2.1oz.  I leave these in the fridge (for obvious reasons - they are fresh face masks) and they usually last me longer than the expiry date on the container, but I never listen to the expiry date because honestly, I haven't and nothing terrible has happened to my skin.  My favourites are Oatifix (smells like banana cake) and as mentioned previously Cosmetic Catastrophe.  I used the Sacred Truth once and liked it as well, although I didn't notice any differences - maybe I needed to use a few more pots?  I don't know.  Oatifix left my face baby soft and smelling delicious, and I love all things that smell delicious.

So that's it for my skin care routine!  I'm currently really bad at putting on eye gel, but the one I have is from Say Yes to Cucumbers and I do put it on whenever I remember.  For this one you have to be really careful to not pump out too much (it takes a bit of practice to do that).  It was a little on the pricey side (I think close to $12.00 for a small bottle) but it was the only eye gel that wouldn't break the bank book heh.

I've been trying to get myself into the routine of putting on some lightening cream for some of the sad freckles I got.  Don't know how that happened considering every morning after I wash my face, I put on moisturizer and if I go out, I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Face Sunscreen in SPF 45 (it has a non-greasy powdery finish which is what I love about this - it's also super affordable at the drugstore.  I bought mine last year on sale at a Maxi even for around less than $10 CAD).  I guess I'm not putting on enough.

If you have any questions about any areas of my routine that I may have not touched upon, or any questions about the products I use, please leave a comment below!

Disclaimer: I was not paid to do a review of any products mentioned here, nor was I sent any of these products for review NOR was I required to make a review for any of these products.  I have purchased all these products with my own money and I only give my honest opinion on them.  

Readers: What products do you use as part of your skin care routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012-2015 Cherry B Sweet All photos are my own unless otherwise stated.
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.