Sunday, February 10, 2013

CherryReview: Nude lipsticks


Left to Right: Sugar's Rose, Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate Moss in 14, Rimmel's Airy Fairy, Revlon's Just Enough Buff, Revlon's Champagne on Ice and Revlon's Caramel Glace

It's not often that I wear a bright lipstick - I don't tend to wear red (I have the Sugar Rose one which I threw in here although it's not a nude colour...but it's sheer and for some people it adds just that touch of colour to get away with being very natural, as well as the Tarte LipSurgence in a corally red) nor bright pink.  I actually haven't been sporting lipstick (or makeup whatsoever) lately because of the crazy long hours of work.  I value my sleep more and I just don't have time in between all the deadlines and number crunching to reapply lipstick.  Woe is me.

However, I do love a good nude lipstick because it's a sure no fail and matches all my outfits.  It matches any makeup look, I can put it on without a mirror if I don't have one, and it works at the office.  I'm pretty lazy like that (hahaha)

Here are the swatches for the colours I'm reviewing from my stash today:

With flash and without flash, top to bottom:
Sugar's Rose, Rimmel (Kate Moss) 014, Rimmel Airy Fairy, Revlon Just Enough Buff, Revlon Champagne on Ice and Revlon Caramel Glace

Before I launch into my reviews, I just want people to know that my lips are pretty pigmented.  They are a pretty "normal" blushing pink colour...not sure how else to describe it?  Usually around 2-3 applications/swipes of lipstick is good enough coverage (more 2 than 3...I some times just put three because it feels more smooth and moisturizing)


First one up: Rimmel's Long Lasting Finish by Kate Moss in 14
I bought this on sale at the drug store for $5.99.  I thought the colour was pretty close to MAC Patisserie based on what I saw on the Internet and decided I'd give this one a go before I went off to buy the actual MAC one I'm considering (after all, this is a fraction of the price).  I could be completely wrong so...who knows!

I like the creamy finish, since the others that I have all have some sort of pearlescent finish to them and some times I don't like the sparkle everywhere.  I've been leaning more to creamier shades both in nail polish and lipsticks (although I stopped putting nail polish on ever since my new year's manicure because my two thumbnails decided to start splitting for some reason argh...must be stress related).  I personally think this colour is a perfect nude colour, and a little more peachy even though my swatch looks a bit more dusty rosy-peach.  I love the creamy finish too, and it's very wearable and sophisticated for office wear.

For wearability - I always wear it with my lip balm underneath so it feels less dry.  Since it's not a glossy finish, it tends to be a bit dryer and I noticed that when I put it on without lip balm once.  I think that's usually the deal with some lipsticks that are creamy but borderline matte finish too.



Second one up: Rimmel's Airy Fairy
Can you tell the difference between the two Rimmels?  It took me a double take to notice the difference - Airy Fairy is much pinker than the Kate Moss one, and it also has some pearliness to it.  This one was a colour I heard on the Internet everywhere so I figured I would get my hands on it since it was more available in Canada than in the States.  It's moisturizing and long lasting - I usually don't have to reapply for a few hours.  It's a very wearable colour for work and matches with any outfit and any makeup colours you use since it's not a very bright pink.  If was in the mood for a little pinker nude lip colour I would go with this, but right now I'm not digging any sparkliness (I always find it tends to stick to your lips and make everything feel gritty at the end of the day) so I haven't been wearing this, but it does look good on my lips.

Both Rimmel colours that I have, I do find they are like my lips but better (MLBB).  Definitely two keepers :)


Third one up is Revlon's Just Enough Buff.  I've had this one for a while since it was touted to be a nude colour (so it was my first nude colour).  My mom didn't like it in the tube, and honestly didn't really care much for it on me either.  It looks very similar to the Kate Moss one photographed, although in the tube the two colours look completely different, so I find it funny how they look the same photographed.  This one is a warm flesh toned lipstick so you can't get any more nude than that.

Do I love it?  Eh...at the time I really liked it because it was my first nude lipstick.  But it's not a pure creamy shade - after a while I noticed that there was some shimmer (and this wasn't because it was transferred from my other lipsticks).  Not digging that so much because after a while I can feel the grittiness.


Fourth one up is Revlon's Champagne on Ice.  This was originally my mom's colour but after a while she didn't like it and thought it looked better on me.  You can't tell on this photo very well but this colour is a frost colour, and I'm no longer a fan of that since it's not really wearable all the time.  It's a great nude colour for anything outside the office or running errands (haha).  It is a pinkier champagne colour, I would say a very very light rose gold maybe even.


Fifth one up is Revlon's Caramel Glace.  This was my first venture into the nuder lipsticks...and into the more brown tones rather than plum and pink.  I don't like it as much anymore (hence the reason I haven't worn it as much)...the funny thing is I had my passport picture with this one a few years ago (glad I finally renewed it with a better picture haha).  It's a browner caramel colour (so think of caramel candy but darker) and is a frosty colour, also the reason why I don't wear it anymore since I don't like those finishes anymore.

Revlon lipsticks are pretty good for their price (around $7.00) - they last for quite a long time, especially the nude ones since you don't notice the colour pigmentation wearing out as fast.


The last one is Sugar's Rose lip stick - it's a sheer red colour that gives just the slightest red tint to your lips, but it leaves your lips feeling extremely moisturized and very glossy looking.  The picture doesn't really make it look red but trust me it is not caramel colour...not sure why it doesn't pick up.  I really like it, although a full size (this one was the Sephora birthday size which is smaller than my pinky finger) is around $26 and I can't justfy paying that much for a lipstick.  I think some of the other colours may be better too.  But those are much less nude (except for Honey, which is pretty brown).

I hope this review helps you if you are looking for a good nude colour that is not going to break the bank. The Kate Moss lipsticks have been popping up on sale at various drugstores in Canada (at least where I live) recently so it might be a good time to pick one up.  I think the Sugar ones are nice too, really moisturizing but I can't get myself to fork out $26 CAD for it either, considering there are other options available (ie: something very moisturizing and with tint).  The Revlon ones are good, but I think the ones I picked are not part of what I like to wear anymore.  The formulas are good and they last quite a long time, so thumbs up for that.

Readers: Which lip colour did you prefer on me?  And what is your favourite nude lipstick?

Stay tuned...I'm going to do a little review on some of my pinky-corally-red lipsticks.  I only have three right now so it's going to be as extensive as this one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012-2015 Cherry B Sweet All photos are my own unless otherwise stated.
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.