Friday, November 15, 2013

CherryReview: Bronzers (Tarte, MAC, Benefit and Too Faced)

I first dabbled into bronzer when I decides that I was getting too pasty white while living in Hong Kong.  Yes, I would avoid the sun in one of the hottest places in Asia just because it was too darn humid outside (and I burned at the beaches...all the time!)  In Hong Kong it wasn't a big thing to wear bronzer because white skin is coveted (it means you are wealthy because you don't have to labour in the sun).  But I was born in Canada and a healthy glow/tan is always better.  I have a small collection of bronzers, so I figured I would do a review on the few that I my opinion on what works (and what doesn't).


Left to Right: Too Faced Chocolate Soleil in Medium, Tarte Mineral Powder Bronzer in Park Avenue Princess, Benefit Hoola Bronzer, MAC Mineralized Skin Finish in Warm Blend


MAC Mineralized Skin Finish in Warm Blend


So the first bronzer I ever got was the MAC mineralized skin finish in Warm Blend from the Colour Craft collection.  This was a limited edition one, so it'll probably impossible to find a close dupe.  Something along the same lines would be Gold Deposit, since it is part of the Mineralized Skin Finish powders in the permanet collection.



(Top photo: the three colours swatched with flash, bottom photo: without flash)

The MUA told me the best way to use this was to use a kabuki brush.  I did that a few times and yes, it's great but it is really easy to go overboard, hence I do not use this that often.  I have found that using a stippling brush (I use my Sonia Kashuk 124 that I got at Target) helps to apply this (and also any MAC Mineralize Skinfinish that is not Natural).

Honestly I love the colours, but there's just too much shimmer/glitter in it to wear on a regular basis.  The colours are gorgeous, very coopery/bronzy colours, and I have tried using them as eyeshadows but you need a good primer to avoid any fallout.  Overall, I would give the Mineralize Skinfinishes a pass in any colour darker than your own skin tone (why I say that is because I actually like Soft and Gentle, which is a nice highlighter.  Will be reviewing it soon and will post the link once I do!) since it just is too crazy for every day use and very finicky to use.  The colours are gorgeous on the lids though, so that's the only plus (and the reason I keep it)

I don't remember the price, but this being an LE, there's no point it me saying how much it is anyways.  The comparable would be the MAC Mineralize Skinfinish and those are around $36CAD each.  I have heard that the MAC bronzing powders are a better bet for a MAC bronzer, but haven't purchased any (and probably won't either since I have a few bronzers already).

Tarte Mineral Powder Bronzer in Park Avenue Princess




(Top: with flash along with MAC swatches on top, bottom: without flash)

Since the MAC Mineralize skin finish were really sparkly, I decided I needed one that took it down a notch - less sparkle and more tan.  I got the Tarte bronzer in Park Avenue Princess when I got my Tarte blush in the duo package.  On the Sephora website, the colour is described as a "highly pearlized light yellow gold".  I have to agree that it is a golden colour, however maybe not light?  It's more medium on my skin tone.  The pearlized finish gives it just enough shimmer without it being garish. 



This bronzer has just a slight sheen and the sparkle is much less apparent - it gives you just enough to evoke the healthy glowing skin look.  The colour is not too orange and leans more to the brown tone.  I really like this one for the summer and for those days where I don't want to wear blush and just want a more tanned "natural" look.  The product has great lasting power if I don't keep leaning on my cheek...which I have a bad tendency to do at work.  If I'm outside, it lasts throughout the day, even in the summer when I'm sweating bullets.  I do find that Tarte products have good long lasting staying powder, and really enjoy this bronzer.  I love how it doesn't have a cakey feeling even after I apply BB cream and my MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural.  It is very natural looking too, so it is versatile on many skin tones.

The full size version of this bronzer is $38 CAD + tax at Sephora, which is the same price as the Chocolate Soleil bronzer by Too Faced.


Benefit Hoola Bronzer





(Top photo: without flash and with the MAC swatches on top, Bottom photo: with flash.  For those who are wondering why I have the MAC swatches on top...I actually took this photo the next day because I accidentally deleted the photo with the MAC and the Hoola swatches separately.  Hence you see the MAC swatches with the Tarte swatch.  Nope, I didn't mess up...haha)

I ended up getting the Hoola bronzer by Benefit in the hopes of getting something more matte for contouring, since even the Tarte one had sparkle and as such is not appropriate for contouring.  I got into contouring thanks to FrmHeadtoToe's video (link here) - she used it in her tutorial so I figured I would give it a shot (after all we are both Asian so it should be ok for our yellow undertone).



I like the brush that is included some it is great and handy to use for contouring the jawbone.  I do find that swiping the product results in a lot of powder buildup in the box and there is always a high chance of having too much product.  That is one of the pitfalls of this one, although the colour is decent...albeit at times I find it a bit too brown on me (depends on the day though) that it looks like I have dirt on my face.  However, if you are looking for a good contouring shade (and you are around the same skin tone as me - NW25), then I would suggest this one.  It works well with Asian skin as well since it's not orangy, but more brown.  You have to be very very careful not too get to much product - tap the product off and try not to swipe your brush in the box too much or you'll get powder fall out like in the photo above!

All in all, a great contour shade, but since it is matte I would not use it as a "healthy glow" bronzer since it can get too dark and make you look funky.  Also, this bronzer can get pretty hard to buff out if you overdo it, so be very careful!  Too many times have I had to go over it with some of my MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural to try and tone it down.  I also find the box a bit bulky to travel with, which is why I tend not to bring this one along with me out of town.

Benefit Hoola Bronzer is $36 CAD + tax at Sephora, but you can purchase it at Pharmaprix/Shopper's Drug Mart in Canada as well.  It is slightly steeper than the others given that you only get 0.28oz of product, but then again a little goes a long way and you get a brush.


Too Faced Chocolate Soleil in Medium


(Top photo: Hoola on top, Chocolate Soleil on bottom without flash, Bottom photo: Chocolate Soleil with flash)

I recently got my make up trial done for my wedding (did it on the day of my engagement shoot) and the MUA used this bronzer on me.  I'll be honest I got partially suckered in because it smells like cocoa (yum!) but also because I really liked it on!  It is a true milk chocolate brown and has very buildable colour - there is also not much fall out and I like the mirror in the packaging (the case is gorgeous as well!)  Although I describe the colour as milk chocolate, there is the lighter version of this called Milk Chocolate Soleil, so don't be confused!  I found the Milk Chocolate Soleil to be too light for my skin tone (it barely showed up in the swatch at Sephora) and the colour is more of a lightened chocolate milk...if that makes sense (chocolate milk colour, not milk chocolate colour...hahah)


I love the smell so it's not a big deal when I accidentally pack on too much (very very easy to blend out) but I can see some people not enjoying the sugary smell.  It lingers a bit (and can stay on your brush too if you don't clean it right away) but pretty much disappears after a while.  I love how there's a little mirror too, which is big enough to use for other purposes (of course, unless you hate the smell...then you probably wouldn't leave the compact open).

I personally love this shade as a contour and an all over bronzer shade since it is so easy to build.  For that "natural glow" you can just swipe this on (like I would with Tarte's Park Avenue Princess), and then add a highlighter on top wherever I need the extra glow to really give it that natural "tanning glow from within", if you get what I mean!  The price of this bronzer is $38 CAD + tax (I snagged the 20% off from the F&F sale a little while back).  It is the same price as the Tarte one, but there is 0.05oz more product in this one.

And that's my review for my bronzers - I hope it was informative and it helps some of you discover something new, or make your decision easier if you were looking to buy one of these.

Readers: which is your favourite bronzer?  Do you use bronzer on a regular basis?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012-2015 Cherry B Sweet All photos are my own unless otherwise stated.
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.