Wednesday, May 15, 2013

CherryBlog: On having not posted for a while (and some career advice)

Hello everyone!

I realized I haven't managed to post anything recently - I'm so sorry!  It's been an extremely busy few weeks with lots of stuff going on.  I've just started a new job so the transitioning in, the training and just running around for my IT accesses is driving me nuts (and draining me too).

The weather got a lot colder - from beautiful summer temperatures back to winter temperatures.  Talk about drastic change.  However, it is the least to say that having my new job has made me a lot happier.  And stemming from this, I will just give me two cents on career advice.


For those who don't know (which is probably all of you since I don't mention it much), I worked previously in a large accounting firm.  When I first graduated from university, it was what I wanted to do, since it was kind of the "prestigious" job for someone coming out of accounting.  The people I worked with were great and all, and I loved the job.

However, things eventually change when some business changes are made (and you have no say over it).  When the work environment changes because the people you work with change, that's when you have to re-evaluate what path you want to take.  I have always 1) made a 5 year plan so I knew what I was aiming to do and attain (this brought some structure and made me have a lot of ambition as well) 2) taken the time to evaluate my career and ask myself "Do I like what I am doing?" and "Is this really what I want to be doing today, tomorrow and for the next few years?"

When the answers to the questions in part 2 starting going from confident yeses to less confident ones or worse case no's (hopefully you never get to a no before you have your back up plan up and running), then it's time to look for a new job.  It's no use procrastinating and thinking things will get better, because half the time, it won't.

The advice that people give you for your relationships is almost akin to those for your career.  I will be honest that after all the changes that took place, I didn't feel the same way about my work environment or the job anymore.  I didn't get along very well with some of the people I started to work with, primarily because their points of view and work ethic were different (cultural factor here), and having the big bosses change the sector I was working in to something I had no interest in, did not help either.

My boyfriend can attest to the later - I would meet him after work Fridays, and would complain about work.  When we talked on the phone, he would ask me how my day was and I would tell him it was the worst.  Once you start going to work trudging your heels, or waiting for the day to end, or finding yourself angry or upset at work for no reason, or even lashing out at people you normally don't, it can be a result of work.  For me, it was.  The job itself just didn't interest me anymore, and I was getting frustrated with roadblocks also on my potential transfer.

There is never any shame in leaving your job - the rule of thumb is that if you are unhappy, you should leave. No job should take a mental or psychological toll on you and your health.  However, you can't just go job hopping either because it will affect future employers' perspective of you (ie: it will seem that you are not committed).  As such, it is important to find a job that you are more than 75% sure you will like and enjoy for at least a year or so.

So that's it from me for now!  I promise I will try and post again within the next two weeks.  I'll be out of town the beginning of June so I'll be MIA for a bit.  Please bear with me!

Readers: Have you ever experienced frustration at work relating to your job?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012-2015 Cherry B Sweet All photos are my own unless otherwise stated.
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.