Tuesday, December 18, 2012

CherryReview: Lipbalms

I love lip balms - it is an essential in my purse and I cannot live without it.  Especially after my trip to Punta Cana - I think I got a sun burn on my lips which caused me to have massive peeling for almost a whole month...and nothing was working (the worst was that anything with salt dried my lips, they were peeling AND constantly feeling dry...exfoliating it helped at first but then it would be dry and peeling again) until the pharmacist recommended Blistex Complete Moisure.  I'll be discussing it further in this review :)

Right now I have a lip balm in every purse since I have a bad tendency to change purses and forget to put the lip balm in there.  I have my lipstick but I always make sure to put lip balm first.  Plus, kissing the fiance saans lip balm just doesn't seem nice at all...




My little stash (currently): Blistex Complete Moisture, Sugar Lip Treatment (from the Sephora birthday gift), Nivea Milk & Honey, Nivea Sun, Blistex Fruit Smoothies (Berry Explosion - it comes in a pack of three with two others - Tropical Fruit (orange) and Melon (green)), Blistex medicated


The other one that I'll be also discussing is the infamous EOS lipbalms - I've tried the red one (Berry), the green one (Honeydew) and the yellow one (Lemon drop)

1. Blistex Complete Moisture
This one is my holy grail lip balm...for now.  I snagged it at a Walmart in the States this summer when it was on sale for around $1 something - there was one full size and then a smaller version with it as well.  It was definitely something I was happy about because I've had to buy this for around almost $3 for one tube before at the drug store.  I've been using this one since my lip incident coming back from Punta Cana - it is very hydrating and has some SPF in it too.  It has a light lemonade scent as well.  When my lips were super dry, I would put this on and it would make it feel moisturized right away.  I leave this one in my purse ALL the time now.  Definitely giving this one a 5/5 because a) inexpensive and b) it does the job really well

2. Sugar Lip Treatment
This was part of the Sephora birthday gift this year...I also got the mini Rose one (tinted).  This one smells similar to the Blistex but more sugary (because it contains sugar).  The moisturization (is that even a word?  Hahaha) is just as good as the Blistex one.  It glides on very smoothly and it has some SPF in it too I believe.  Glad I got to try a mini sample because at Sephora this goes for around $23 USD/$26 CAD - if you buy it now (tinted version) as part of the gift set that they have it will come with the lip scrub, which is a pretty good deal.  But overall I think it's pricey for what it is, and considering that it is around the same size as my Blistex, I probably will only buy it for myself when I really want to splurge.  The packaging is nice too but some people may find the twist-lock cap a little annoying.  Giving this one a 3.5/5 solely due to price.  Otherwise 5/5 for what it does.

3. Nivea Pure & Natural Milk & Honey
The first time I bought this was because I ran out of lip balm and didn't have any on me, so I bought whatever brand was on sale, which turned out to be this one.  Anything with milk or honey sounds good to me because usually it smells good (haha) - the Pure & Natural line has other scents as well but this is the one I've tried and liked.  It glides on really smoothly and is quite moisturizing.  However, I think it's not as moisturizing in the winter when it gets a lot drier with heat and the cold.  I found myself having to reapply it a lot during the colder seasons.  It's a little bigger than the Blistex and slightly cheaper at the drugstore.  Will be giving this one a 4/5.

4. Nivea Sunscreen Lip Balm
I bought this for my trip to Punta Cana and wore it every day while I was out in the sun.  Not sure if it really helped but I didn't like the fact it smelled like I was putting sunscreen on my lips (yuck) and I couldn't apply a thick layer otherwise I would have a white lip (so what's the point?  If you have to put a teaspoon of sunblock on your face to protect from the sun, I doubt a thin layer of lip balm will protect your lips considering your lips are even thinner than your skin!)

I think I would've been better off just reapplying a lip balm with SPF 15 (usually isn't higher than that) and wearing a hat *sigh*  Waste of money although it costed as much as the Nivea lip balm.  1/5 rating for me since it was pretty useless

5. Blistex Lip Smoothies
I bought two packs in the past from Walmart - once it came as a pack of four because it had a bonus (Peaches and Cream).  These are just your normal every day lip balms - a little waxy but still moisturizing.  I love the scents!  The only thing is that these are pretty small (they are smaller than the regular Blistex lip balms).  3/5 rating since there are no cons and nothing WOW about it

6. Blistex Medicated Lip Balm
I bought this before consulting the pharmacist about my lip issue, thinking that this would solve my problem.  It didn't (the pharmacist thinks it made it worse ugh).  Apparently a lot of make up artists use this as a lip base/primer.  

7. EOS lip balm
Love this stuff...until for some reason it made my lip swell up - I think that I might have contaminated it when my lip was going through that "issue" period.  These are super moisturizing and what I love about it is the packaging and how there are no chemicals in them.  I have tried the Lemon Drop, the Honeydew and the Berry one.  The berry one may not be for everyone because it doesn't smell like berries right off the bat.  I've heard that the vanilla mint one can sometimes be a hit or miss.  Either way these are very moisturizing - however the downside is that if they are not warmed up, it gets a little hard to apply it since it will start tugging a bit.  In the summer it was great because they would be warm, but when it got colder it would harden and be a bit harder to apply.  4/5 rating still because I loved how moisturizing it was - I would put it on before bed and the next morning my lips were still nice and moisturized

And that's a wrap!  Phew!

Readers: What are your favourite lip balms?  Have you tried any of the ones that I've mentioned?  If so, what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012-2015 Cherry B Sweet All photos are my own unless otherwise stated.
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.