Sunday, December 9, 2012

CherryReview: Eyeko Skinny Liner and Skinny Brush mascara

Sephora had the Eyeko liquid eyeliner and mascara set (minis) available for $19 near the cashier, so I decided to buy it on a whim because I never really use liquid eyeliner and wanted to try it out.  Hence this crappy looking lines in the photos you are about to witness (*nervous laugh*)


(Photos courtesy of Sephora)


FYI: Even after trying to use this for a month, I still can't get a good line out of it.  I blame my shaky hands...for some reason I'm better with gel liner.  Oh well...I guess it depends on the day too.

Anyways, the Eyeko liner is supposed to have a glossy finish, which is nice since it's different from the look that you get from other liquid liners and from gel or pencil liners.  It's definitely a good black liner - I had bought one from SaSa in Hong Kong once by Cybercolour and it was...subpar.  The black was a very liquid black - not an opaque black.





Above: without flash - below: with flash

I think the Eyeko liner is pretty good although I do find that sometimes the liquid doesn't show up on my first stroke, which may explain my choppy lines too.  The good thing is that it comes off pretty easy with some water if you screw up.  I guess that could be a con too if it rains...but I don't think cold water does anything. You can wash it off with a q-tip dipped in warm water, no problem.  The same goes for the mascara.

The mascara is made with a skinny brush that is supposed to be able to coat even the shortest lashes.  The bush is different from the ones that I usually buy.  What I like about it is that it's waterproof but it doesn't have that weird waxy feeling on my lashes - most waterproof lashes feel waxy on my lashes to the point where I feel them pointing upwards after I curl them and coat them, as well as also flaking like crazy throughout the day.

Despite it saying that it's waterproof, I do feel like wiping it with warm water still removes a lot of the product, but you'd definitely want some good eye make up remover to take out whatever's remaining.



Another close up of the eye with the liner AND the mascara and comparison without mascara

Does the mascara do anything for me?  Eh well...it does make my lashes look longer but definitely doesn't add any volume.  Then again this isn't a volumizing or an all-in-one like my Tarte mascara that I've been using for a while.  It does a decent job on lengthening, and after wearing it for a few days, I've noticed that like my Tarte mascara, it doesn't give me panda eyes (ie: the mascara doesn't suddenly smudge during the day).  It should be noted that even if a mascara is waterproof it does NOT mean that it is oilproof or smudgeproof.  I've realized that it's important that your mascara be more oilproof than anything else, because during the day your face does get a little oily and if you are like me (with semi-oily lids), you will end up having you mascara transfer whenever you blink, causing you to look like you have massive dark circles.

Verdict: would I buy this again?  Not sure - definitely glad that I got to try them for $19 (mini set).  I think the mascara is decent but for now I will stick with my Tarte one.  I just got a different one (I've been using Lights, Camera, Lashes and just got the new Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara during the Black Friday deal) so I'll be using that one and seeing which one I like better.  I'll admit that the skinny brush is a little better than the normal ones, but it's nothing epic.

As for the liquid liner, it is decent - I'm planning on maybe trying the Tarte one or the Two Faced one as well before debating whether to get a full sized.  Or I might just stick with gel liner all together because maybe my hands aren't so adept to liquid liners!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012-2015 Cherry B Sweet All photos are my own unless otherwise stated.
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.