Sunday, August 30, 2009

CherryBlog: First non-family wedding

So tonight is the first wedding reception I'm going to that isn't within the family.  It's for the older sister of a good friend of mine, although the wedding had already taken place last month in India.  Her older sister just wanted to have a reception for all her friends in town who couldn't (for many obvious reasons) not be there for the actual ceremony.

Of course, as any girl would be, I'm SUPER excited...especially for the dressing up part.  But of course, that's not without any fall outs, especially with another friend of mine (who I'm not sure would be considered my best friend for various reasons, yet I still do?  The strange things that happen in girl's lives...) who, I've known for many years but didn't like the idea of picking me up to go together.  Well, call me a little selfish, but I figured that if we're what they call "best friends", neither of us, if put in such a position, would mind going a little bit out of the way to pick up the other.

As I always say: Whatever.



It's taken a few days to figure out what I'm going to wear, what colour to paint my nails and jewellery..although technically it wasn't as difficult as the last wedding I went to in May because I'm wearing the same outfit as last time.  Call me not very adventurous, but to be honest, I like the dress, it looked nice on me and I haven't got many formal dresses, much to my dismay.  The only difference I made compared to May was a change in nail colour (instead of light pink with white lace nail transfers, dark purple) and the bag I'm using (don't feel like carrying a clutch).

It's going to rain.  Luckily, it isn't there wedding day - Chinese tradition has it that it means the groom is stingy.  Never a good thing.

All this leads me to...what to pack in your purse for a special-occasion-evening.  Majority of the time, it's better to bring a small purse or a clutch because it's more elegant and formal, and also pack the bare necessities.  I suggest not bringing a wallet, but instead put in essentials such as money and spare change, ID card(s) (such as Medicare, driver's or what-have-you...whatever is the official ID in your country), bus passes (in case) in the zipper compartment.  Then, put in your (digital) camera - don't want to miss any memorable moments that's for sure!  Next, some tissue and perhaps slip some dental floss as well because you never know when something might get stuck in your teeth - remember, it's rude to pick your teeth at the dinner table!  Some breath mints, lip gloss and lipstick and a compact with mirror (or just a mirror if you don't use powder).  I usually don't bring much make up because I'm not one to worry so much about it - it makes you look to self conscious.  On top of that, I always have to make sure there's room for my contact lenses' case and glasses just in case of anything.

So that's that, considering I have an hour before I drive out to the east of the city...I think I better start getting ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012-2015 Cherry B Sweet All photos are my own unless otherwise stated.
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.