Wednesday, June 19, 2013

CherryReview: BareMinerals 4.0 eyeshadow palette

I got the BareMinerals 2.0 eyeshadow duo in The Perfect Storm from Sephora because I'm a VIB.  I liked the lasting power and the creaminess of the pressed powder eyeshadow that I decided to buy The Dream Sequence palette as opposed to buying Fig 1 from MAC (and other complimentary purple shades).

I purchased the palette during my recent visit to the States (refer to my travel entry here and the haul here) since I knew I'd have lower taxes and a lower price point in the US compared to Canada.  I think the quad is around $4-6 more expensive in Canada, and that's excluding the taxes.




Oops, I forgot to take a picture of the packaging when it's closed, but I think people are more interested in the contents than the outside, right?  The Dream Sequence is a gorgeous purple quad - per the Sephora website, the colours are airy pink (500 thread count), iridescent lilac (romp), electric amethyst (boudoir) and violet sheen (nightcap).


Below I swatched all four colours on my hand in the following order from top to bottom: 500 thread count, romp, boudoir and nightcap

Without flash

With flash

Colour
I don't have a picture of these eyeshadows on my lids (yet...because I did use them already).  Since I had the quad on me in NJ, I used it when I went to work.  I forgot to bring my primer so the colour were not as vibrant as they would have been, but I've used it with a primer (MAC paint pot) and it looks practically like in the pan. The colours go on very smoothly and there is very little fall out (I actually experienced more fall out with the duo I got for free).  The trick to avoid the fall out is to pat the colour on first and then blend with a fluffy brush.

The colours are EXTREMELY vibrant and look amazing...and the range of colours for the quads is definitely very good - if it weren't for the fact that I already made my own neutral quad (Shroom, Woodwinked, Satin Taupe and Handwritten) over time from MAC, so I don't want to get too many dupes.

Feel
Fall out is minimal - although I find the lightest shade falls out the most in the pan.  These eyeshadows go on very smooth and barely crease.  They feel buttery/velvety soft, allowing them to blend out nicely when doing a slight smoky eye.

Overall verdict
For the price you are paying, it's definitely less product per colour than if you bought a pro-palette refill pan on its own (pro palette pans are around $14CAD each.  Each eyeshadow in this quad is $30/4 = $7.50, but the quantity is less obviously), but you are getting more colors and it's cheaper than buying four MAC colours, which have practically the same feel and colour payoff as the 4.0 quad.  I really like the colour selection (because they all go together well, the highlight is a matte similar to MAC's Vanilla and the shimmery shades are not too crazy) and the fact that there is a matte colour.  Overall this quad is a winner in my books, and I'm sure the others are just as good.  My MAC personalized neutral pallette is similar to the 4.0 The Truth palette, so it might be cool to try that one out compared to my MAC one.

Readers: have you tried the BareMinerals eyeshadows?  Which ones are your favourites?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012-2015 Cherry B Sweet All photos are my own unless otherwise stated.
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.